Friday, April 4, 2014

Reading Amy King in Topeka, Kansas

I am alternating between my Amy King project and my other project. I started the Amy King poems a year ago, where I would write a shadow poem to an Amy King poem from I Want to Make You Safe. I also incorporate overheard things. The gist: to survive Topeka, a poet takes up projects and poems.

I wrote my second today, and hope to go back to revisit what I wrote a year ago.

I have a copy I write in. I also try to match up location and context to Amy's poems.

Here is an example I wrote today as my mythology class watched the film Snow White and the Huntsman. I happened upon Amy's poem "A Bruise That Stains the Teeth," which references women in mythology. I included not only shadow writing, but things happening in the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment