Monday, November 25, 2013

About Sum Poems

Q: Did you feel that it was cathartic to write? As I finished it, I wondered if you were coming to terms with your childhood in a way that will let you focus on your boys' childhood next.

Me: Yes--it was the most difficult to write, too. These are poems I've tried to write for more than two decades, and I'm glad Joe Harrington made me make a choice to do so for my MFA thesis. "I wondered if you were coming to terms with your childhood in a way that will let you focus on your boys' childhood next." Exactly! I decided to get back in touch with my father after I was going to be a father myself. I knew I needed to do that. Those last poems were written two years ago, post-MFA, as I like poetry that tries to "figure out something" that can't be said.

No comments:

Post a Comment