Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A boycott

WARNING: This blog contains SENSITIVE SUBJECT MATTER pertaining to violence, sexual assault, and other issues. Please be advised before reading.

In addition, if you live in Topeka and are a victim of domestic or sexual violence, PLEASE call the YWCA's toll-free 24-hour helpline: 1-888-822-2983.

Here is their website for more information:
http://www.ywca.org/site/pp.asp?c=8nKFITNvEoG&b=1069861

The National Domestic Violence: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
http://www.thehotline.org/
[
[

The boycott page on facebook is closed. It began on Friday and ended Monday with a post by me:

Too many survivors are being attacked here. The boycott exists, but this page is closed.

I want to repost my description of the boycott:

In response to an ad depicting violence against a woman as comedy, we will not attend this or any comedy performance by these four men AND promotions by So U Think UR Funny.

BE SURE to go by The Break Room and give them your love! We love The Break Room. Also, if you appreciate that they removed these ads, be sure to let them know that, too!

Regardless of Freedom of Speech (which everyone should be for) and how funny the show is, this ad is what it is.
[see the ad from my last post]

In fact, Vicki Trembly (the promoter) had this to say on her fansite:

"Just got a complaint about the flyer for the September show. YYYYYEEEEESSSSS!!! If they are offended by the image, the show will KILL! Come on down.... You will Die laughing... then they will all stand around, poking your dead body with a stick and mocking you. It'll be fun!"

Read more about what Vicki has to say on our wall.

UPDATE: Aug 20th: Rape is not a joke either:

Post: I dig that the fliers were removed. However, if the image was any indication of the kind of "humor" of the show, i'd rather chew glass than attend. Still, awesome that the fliers are down. The one of three American women that are sexually assaulted/raped (including myself) appreciate your coming-to-senses.

Vicki: I'm wondering how come those gals are getting all the action! I can't even get laid. Sorry you won't be flying in from Phoenix to catch the show.

[

Violence against women is NOT FUNNY! Nor should messages like this simply be brushed off.


[
  As arguments about emerged about what a boycott is (and it is NOT censorship), what our purpose was, if we were after anyone's job (I only know of an email was sent to Coldwell Banker asking if they could offrer sensitivity training) etc., I was speechless that the deeper issue and concern was never addressed until Chris Schultz, co-owner of The Break Room, made this post yesterday:

Vicki Trembly is a good friend of mine that I have known for years. It is not my place to advertise the things I know about her past and the extreme challenges she has faced in her life, but what I will tell you is that her experiences have been anything but rosy. She has had to fight and work hard for everything she has in life and she has never just stood around expecting a hand out. All of us have our own ways of dealing with life; call it our own individual therapy. For Vicki, I happen to know that humor is her therapy. With all due respect, I certainly don’t think that her humor is always funny or even appropriate, but comedy is relative.

So U Think U R Funny is not just one show that got some attention for putting out a flier that could be seen in poor taste. It is something that she created and has worked very hard for over the last couple of years. In that time, she has inspired and encouraged many area comics to pursue and grow ...
their passion. She has worked very hard to give them a good home and, like all mother hens, she is very protective. I may not agree with their posters, their jokes, or their defense mechanisms, but I am proud that I am able to provide a place for them to get together and share something with like minds. I have witnessed too many great people take their creativity out of our community because they feel so isolated here.

As the venue owner, I would like to apologize if any of you have felt offended by anything that has transpired. I can assure you that “So U Think U R Funny” has never meant to hurt anyone. If I believed that promoting violence was anyone's true intention, they would certainly not be able to count on our support. My hope is that everyone on both sides of the issue can put down their defenses, and be proud that we all live in a world where each of us is allowed to have our own opinions.

Very Truly,
Chris Schultz

[

Again, I love The Break Room provides opportunities for artists to entertain and inspire. I admire the heck out of Chris. He is a true stand-up guy! He even created a video about Topeka, voicing his stance against Fred Phelps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb6cVOSWF0g&sns=fb

[

WARNING: This section contains SENSITIVE SUBJECT MATTER pertaining to violence, sexual assault, and other issues. Please be advised before reading.

If you live in Topeka and are a victim of domestic or sexual violence, PLEASE call the YWCA's toll-free 24-hour helpline: 1-888-822-2983.

Here is their website for more information:
http://www.ywca.org/site/pp.asp?c=8nKFITNvEoG&b=1069861

The National Domestic Violence: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
http://www.thehotline.org/


Again, this boycott was simply to say "no" to an ad that, to me, symbolizes a real issue.

In the end, I hope everyone can agree that jokes about violence and rape dehumanizes these serious issues. To those who disagree, I hope you please consider that these "jokes" written by the promoter (Vicki) and several Kansas City comedians that appeared on the boycott page were aimed at people--individual people who either identified themselves as survivors or could be survivors (in fact, I know some are)--which makes it no less than an attack:

Post: I dig that the fliers were removed. However, if the image was any indication of the kind of "humor" of the show, i'd rather chew glass than attend. Still, awesome that the fliers are down. The one of three American women that are sexually assaulted/raped (including myself) appreciate your coming-to-senses.

Vicki Trembly: I'm wondering how come those gals are getting all the action! I can't even get laid. Sorry you won't be flying in from Phoenix to catch the show.

[


Responses to someone who pulled her comment about being a rape survivor:

Doug Cheatham: Good for you [   ] mess with someones job cause you are a frigid and bored bitch


Doug Cheatham: and [   ] from your comments in here I can see why you were a victim of domestic abuse...youre a button pusher
Doug Cheatham: [   ] is lucky Im kinda of busy today and only commenting while Im here touching myself to her profile avi
Marty McIrvin: How you you rape a dry, vapid vagina? Lots of saliva and tears.
[

I hope you will consider these things. Laugh at me all you want, but I hope you consider this, too: Not being sympathetic, compassionate, and/or considerate about posts like these is beyond what I will say here. And as Vicki Trembly suggested she was getting material for her show from the page, doing so would be a violence against these people of whom I admire for their courage in sharing their story and knowingly doing so on a public page.

[
If you live in Topeka and are a victim of domestic or sexual violence, PLEASE call the YWCA's toll-free 24-hour helpline: 1-888-822-2983.

Here is their website for more information:
http://www.ywca.org/site/pp.asp?c=8nKFITNvEoG&b=1069861

The National Domestic Violence: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
http://www.thehotline.org/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Dennis, and for your ongoing efforts for all victims of violence, sexual and otherwise. I know it's just how you are and I admire you for that. Thanks also for your understanding toward Chris Schulz.

    ReplyDelete