Sunday, June 17, 2012

When your favorite writer is rude

"I love Bok’s writings but apparently he’s the captain of the jerk festival."
http://noaesthetic.tumblr.com/post/283794994

My friend and I were talking about Christian Bök, when the third friend called him a jerk. She said when he came to visit her last school, not only did he not pay attention to any of the students while there, but he talked with his friends while the graduate students were reading their poems--just before he read.

The public and private life has always fascinated me, but I believe if you are a visitor, paid or not, or just a person at a public performance, you need to pay respect to those around you--and to the reader at the microphone.

Call me Christian Bök. However, I'll come visit your school as a respectful poet. :)

It's the Midwest poet in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment