Sunday, June 14, 2020

Post of memory

I am not surprised you became an educator. I don't know if you remember, we were partnered in Mr. Poore's shop class. I was having such a difficult time measuring my project. See, at the time I had not yet been diagnosed with dyscalculia, ( math dyslexia) and I would get frustrated when it came to anything mathmatical. You, at the age of 12/13 stopped your project to teach me the basics of measurement and help me cut my project out. To this day my parent's have the pear cutting board and napkin holder that, to be honest, was more an Etzel creation than an Brodsky. My mom still teases me that her, " unknown son" made those for her.
Well, I bet you didn't know you had such an impact on my education and self esteem. Btw, I mastered math, kicked it's arse and went into science. Tyvm, Mr. Etzel.

Wow! Life is crazy. I hated school, I always felt out of place and coped by being loud and  " a clown". To think you felt like that blows my mind. You were so kind, smart, and never had a bad thing to say to a soul. Wish you would have reached out, hell, I wish I would had so I could have said I had your back! Well, I can't change the past, and I am happy I shared my memory of you so you knew that you were/are important to me.
I too home schooled my oldest, public school here makes 501 look like a genius mill. Our youngest is in public school now that we live in a small town, and she is a social butterfly, she craves socializing.
I'm going to tag my mom to your page so she can finally see who you are!!!

I bet a lot of people remember you the way I do.
This might sound bizarre, but this is my first memory of you...
The first day of class I thought you looked like my dad. Don't worry, he's an awesome guy, so it's a good thing. Anyway, you looked so much like him that I automatically thought that you MUST be Jewish like me. Then I heard your last name Etzel and totally thought that you could be. To those who have nothing in common with people look for anything that resembles a comrade. So I pinned all my hopes on you in that moment. I never found out if you were and the thought must have just evaporated as time went on. The only Jews I ever went to school with were my siblings. Lol. I told ya it was bizarre.

No comments:

Post a Comment