Monday, June 1, 2020

Journal

  • What are some things you already regularly do to create a welcoming and sustaining class climate?
Getting to know you, describe my stance on inclusivity
  • Where are some areas that you may be able to improve?
Put my stance in my syllabus, see previous blog for things I should word--how I value things
  • Gloria Ladson-Billings' research helped create the theory of "Culturally Relevant Pedagogy." One point she makes is that it isn't enough to be welcoming and "nice" to all students if they aren't also learning something. She says that some instructors see being welcoming as a goal that is in conflict with being intellectually challenging. Can you imagine how these two goals could be in conflict in some classes? In your class?
I sometimes worry that students confuse my niceness with my standards. This redesign has helped me know I need to be explicit in what I ask for, go through the rubric first, expect students to not have their cell phones out,  to read assignments, to come on time.
  • What are some specific ideas from this module that you would like to try to implement in your course redesign?
See above--and my blog entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment