Monday, June 15, 2020

Implicit Biases

Imagine you are going into a hospital room to first meet with a patient to find out the reason for their visit. Think about these possible scenarios: a white woman with an STD, a black man with an STD, a white man you read as gay with an STD, a transgendered woman of Chinese descent with an STD. Now, Dennis, are you being racist, sexist, offensive? you might be asking yourself right now. You might be offended that I even mention a patient with STDs. The reality is all of these are possibilities and how one should treat all patients the same regardless of whatever scenario calls for the need to be aware of one's implicit biases, as we all might hold biases against people who are different that we are. I like to think of what Ta-Nehisi Coates says about racism in his book Between the World And Me, that racism is what created race--not the other way around. It's this kind of thinking, to be aware of one's own implicit biases while going into a field of care to be patient-centered, that helps create a truly all-patient-centered approach. As an educator, I, too, do everything possible to be inclusive of all of Washburn's students, non-judgemental of one's situation, background, and even writing skills. I come from a family of nurses, so I know the work it really takes to care for others, so when I ask students to take into account their implicit biases, please know that I wouldn't ask of students what I wouldn't do myself.  I also need to be adamant, I am not asking anyone to change their world views or belief system. Can you be open to these ideas while maintaining your beliefs and world view?

No comments:

Post a Comment