Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Last Lecture

A funny story about one of my best friends and how when we met I knew we would become best friends. When Melanie came up to the campus to interview my class was used for her to give her presentation. She was so nervous because she had researched my name and found I had as a published poet I seemed very prolific. Then when she came in I was just myself. I guess I made her feel so relaxed and at home and she gave a certainly a kick-ass presentation and I was moved and inspired. I asked if I could get copies of some of her materials. They were so cool especially the Picasso one. Now when my birthday rolled around that summer it was when Captain America the First Avenger came out and I had ordered a special cake from Baskin-Robbins. It had the Captain America theme and I was so excited about turning 42. I don't have that many parties but that year I decided to invite lots of different writers and people I knew around Topeka. I used Facebook for the invite and truly did take it seriously when people said that they would be coming. However, it look like no one was going to show up. I was about to get my heart crushed and then Here Comes Melanie with her family to my party. They really did Save the Day. I decided to not for a party again but I also realized when no one gave their regrets that I have to make sure who I'm going to invite to my parties. It was a good lesson and thinking having expectations about people coming making sure that you get the word that they will become anymore and that's sometimes people have a lot more going on but they might not even think not coming would be a big deal. I do my best to let people know if I can go or not to anything I agreed that I would. I'm very selective especially now that I have five boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment