Tuesday, May 26, 2020

1st Gen Book Chapt 2 3

Something from page 25 reminded me of how I passed out "help cards" to students. They are index cards where I tell students they can write their names of stay anonymous, they note if it is a public or private question, and then to ask any question of help they need. It was truly helpful! It took a little time, as I reached out to those students who had private questions to meet with me in conference. However, with COVID-19 I am not sure how to do this or if I should.

What do you all think? Should I have a dropbox for online "help cards" or not?

I believe that we won't be able to complete a full semester of in-class meetings in the fall.

Not trying to be the killjoy here, but how do we help students with the list of things on pages 25 and 26--especially with the social aspect? I am for asynchronous zoom videos over synchronous, so I would love to hear those who are using zoom to meet with a class. How is it going?

After reading p 35 thinking about the programming Washburn has had for first-gen students, maybe a Kanopy viewing with GroupMe texting would be fun?

I know Washburn is going to high schools, getting students in through the Summer Success Institute, etc. I was a success mentor for a student last year, too. There are things Washburn is doing to get first-gen students in and focus on retention.

Last year, when I saw that Chris Jones set up office hours in the library, I did, too. I started to have more students visit me there. I also became aware of the hard work the people who work at Mabee are doing for first-gen students, their frustrations, and how a lot of the work is unrecognized. I highly recommend to everyone to try it and see the difference in your perception of students and Washburn programs.

What are things you do to help students who work full time and have family obligations outside of extensions? Do you ever give advice? Or coach? I am wondering if I need to do more of this, too. Or should I?


No comments:

Post a Comment