Thursday, May 28, 2020

changes

High expectations
grading styles--with pictures
social aspect of college
demystifying college
glossery
first-gen engagement


 Sometimes they just want a friendly face or a place to chat for a few minutes. Sometimes they need a pep talk or a reminder to take care of themselves. Someone made me a sign asking everyone to not knock except for emergency, but I  just haven't had the heart to put it on my door. I always want my students to feel they have my support.



  • What are some sacrifices you are making to be here?
  • On a scale of 1 (very little)-10 (very much), how much parental assistance did you receive in preparing to come to college (e.g., research schools, applying, locating financial resources, developing expectations?
  • Maybe other ratings regarding levels of confidence in navigating academic curriculum, participating in campus activities, making progress toward graduation, etc.
  • What are some questions you have about navigating the college experience?


made me think of how, in my Psych Research Methods class, I ask students about their fears, goals, and strategies on the first day, as the course topic is one students often have lots of anxiety over. In the next class, I respond to students' fears, praise their goals, and give suggestions to improve their strategies' successes. I'm thinking of doing something similar but broader across my classes, perhaps as part of the "getting to know you" piece.

I would love to discuss ACE scores. I have complicated feelings about them, and would love to hear what others think. Would you want to start a new thread on that topic?

No comments:

Post a Comment