Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Last Lecture

Spring 2020 semester has just ended andaz places are gradually reopening because of the Coronavirus universities are optimistic that the campuses will reopen. However, I am on a group of colleagues where we are reading articles and engaging in first generation students and how to revamp a class as well as right a book or write things for other colleagues to read about first generation students. Everything I'm reading talks about the trauma students are going through and to try to get the faculty to understand that trauma. I've already been reading the body keeps the score and have already experienced my own trama. Even one of the videos I watched about students dealing with trauma and forms us that we too are under trauma that it doesn't have to be physical or violent but just being Sheltering in place as this coronavirus pandemic hits us is a form of trauma. Also students being back at home students who are facing new challenges because of their jobs. Now this video ended on Rumi and Maya Angelou poetry so that really confirmed to me what is my role as a poet? It's to create that work that people turn to in difficult times. Poetry has saved my life so I know the power of teaching people that they too can write or do their art or do music or whatever it takes to engage in helps with the trauma.

No comments:

Post a Comment