Saturday, February 8, 2020

Last Lecture Plan B might be your Plan A

I know this sounds funny to say especially as I'm sure when I give my last lecture we can say the economy is doing bad. Maybe climate crisis has already taken a big toll on things. Maybe some kind of disaster has triggered some kind of catastrophic economic World Market. Who knows? Maybe I'll be unable to give this last lecture. The years 2019 and all I know is that if I would have not gone to my escape plan. I might not be here today to record this in 2019. I chose computer programming as a major because it was practical and I loved coding. By the time I got my degree. I had accidentally minored in English. Somewhere in between that I took the advice to become a better writer and my poetry is really what brought me to myself. One of the things a boss told me when I was leaving the corporate world to pursue a master's in English was that she could no longer use me as an example to her daughter. Her daughter really wanted to become an art major, but her mother made her be an architect major. She said to her daughter, Look Dennis is a poet but knows he needs to do the job to bring home money. This is the stigma. We all get into that. We really can't pursue our dreams. Why can't our plan B B. The Practical question mark I know this sounds absurd. I know this is asking people to pour a lot of money into something that might not work out. I just know in my life and bracing this impractical. Was a life-saving move for me. All I can say is through my journey and making true on his connections with others through who I am. I was able to make connections that open doors for me. Every job I had was because I knew someone in that job. So all I can say is be your best self and go for your dreams. Know the power of making honest connections with others. Know that your professors are andconfidants and allies.

No comments:

Post a Comment