Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Next Big Thing

So I need to give credit to both Eric McHenry and Tasha Haas, as they both asked me to do this. However, I do not feel like I could find/ask anyone new to do this. :)

http://tashahaas.com/the-next-big-thing/
http://oddevening.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-next-big-thing.html
http://travismacdonald.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/the-next-big-thing-graceries/
http://jenmariemacdonald.tumblr.com/post/44137796457/next-big-thing


*Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing*
What is your working title of your book?
My Secret Wars of 1984

Where did the idea come from for the book?
From a poem I wrote, in which there was a space between 1983 and 1985. I realized 1984 is a pivotal, tumultuous year for me.

What genre does your book fall under?
Conceptual collage poetry

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Me: Joshua Marie Wilkinson
My mother: Amy King
Lyn Hejinian: herself
bell hooks: herself
John Carlin: Joe Harrington
Ronald Reagan: Billy Collins

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
In its entirety, My Secret Wars of 1984 is an alphabetized 366-sentence conceptual poetry-memoir collage, using texts from the year 1984 (Lyn Hejinian, Ronald Johnson, bell hooks, Marvel Comics, Dungeons & Dragons, President Reagan, etc.) with sentences of my own—within the context of political and personal struggles of that time (my mother coming out in the midst of living in a Catholic neighborhood, etc.).

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
No.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
366 sentences.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Any of the top ten of the New York Times Bestsellers List.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?
Joe Harrington, Lyn Hejinian, and Ronald Johnson.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
The cover has artwork by a famous comic book artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment