Monday, November 18, 2019

Last Lecture

I am amazed at students who in the short four years here become known, popular, but it is not from any professors or Greek life. It is from their work to be known. They place themselves out there in the vulnerable spaces of students, of peer educators, of making connections with professors. We crave these connections, yet know not every student will connect. There is only so much time. Yes, these superstars somehow connect, plan the time to do the work, often work here on campus. It only takes four years to put in the work for further freedom. It was an opportunity I didn't realize I had, but am saying this to you now, to those students who are in college--find any way to embrace this time here! Quit your fast food job. Seriously, put in applications here, talk to people, find some other way to earn money. Students tell me they already have bills, and I understand that. I mourn that part of my life that I didn't live. I hope you can embrace your living, wherever it gives an opportunity to.

If the person you are dating does not support your being in college, it's time to date someone new.

No comments:

Post a Comment