Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How to Write a Sentence and How to Read One by Stanley Fish

There is a school of Fish (sorry about the pun), and people who don't like him. I guess being a critic leaves you on the other side of such matters. However, I'm enjoying his latest book How to Write a Sentence (and How to Read One) with hopes that I can use it for my Comp courses. I like this idea, to start simple, thinking of a sentence as a unit of measure and movement. There was something similar in They Say, I Say, describing a sentence as "holding hands" with the previous and next sentences. Maybe this is too heady, too English, but what is my role of challenging how Freshman see writing? Maybe this kind of book doesn't help with "essay writing," but maybe with memoir or descriptive writing it can. I'll have to keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment